With reports of Tropical Cyclone Owen moving across the Gulf of Carpentaria and back towards Queensland, we all need to be prepared for the likely extreme weather.
Heavy rain and sever winds are expected to hit the Queensland coast as a minimum with threats of flooding and resulting damages possible depending on the intensity of TC Owen as he continues to form.
What can you do?
To assist you with preparations, we have put together the following checklist with links to the details you may well need to be prepared.
- Register for weather warnings and emergency alerts
- Secure outdoor furniture
- Understand your property’s risk of flooding
- Check your insurances (building and contents, and vehicles) are current and provide adequate coverage
- Have an emergency contact phone list – include 000 (triple zero) and SES (13 25 00)
- Download the SES app to your phone
- Prepare an emergency kit
- Make sure you think of your pets in preparing for any emergency: include pet food in an emergency kit and make sure your dog is registered and microchipped.
- After the storm stay away from fallen power lines – report them to Energex on 13 19 62 or Ergon on 13 16 70.